Sunday 23 June 2013

WeRPIn - The Genesis

WeRPIn, short for Web RolePlayers International, is an internet-based tabletop RPG group I happen to be part of.

I've been a long time reader of the webcomic Darths & Droids, which is a tabletop RPG story. & as such, I was heavily drawn into this subculture. However, where I live, nobody even knows what a tabletop RPG is. So my chances of ever actually playing one was nil, at best.

So when Fellonius tweeted, quite unexpectedly, that



I yelled out, not at all certain it'd work, that



jGazMom, having never tried one herself either, followed suit,



After a little bit of discussion with her,








we were both psyched for a chance at playing this strange & new type of gaming, knowing full well that there was very little chance it'd ever happen.

That is, until Vladimyr tweeted,



& then, well,


So that was that. jGazMom & I unanimously chose Fellonius as our GM & he got about figuring out Maptool & how to use it as he wanted.

Soon enough, being the nosy naming type that I am, I has the idea to make an official name for this whole shindig of a group.









& finally



& the name stuck :)

We also picked up veteran Tabletop RPG players Faume & Rsmalec along the way & jGazMom's son Sam, an equal newbie like her, also came along for the ride :)
So here we were, a group spread across 3 continents, with a maximum time difference of almost 11 hours, attempting to get together to play a Tabletop RPG. Talk about eventful eh?


Our first session took place on Saturday morning (22nd June, 2013) for Fellonius (Sweden) & I (India) and Friday night (21st June, 2013) for jGazMom, Sam, Faume & Rsmalec (all USA). I was so excited for this that I only slept 3 & a half hours that night, wasking up at 4 o'clock in the morning (the session started at 7:30am). Despite my eyelids feeling heavier than a forklift, my brain was too excited to sleep.

It was mainly character creation followed by a little bit of gameplay covering a duration of 4 hours. It went surprisingly well.





We're all quite eager for our next session. Rsmalec & I have recorded some of the footage & will upload them shortly on our channels so look out for that if you're interested in how it all went down :)

In any case, Thank you very much for reading this (if you did that is. If you just scrolled down, you missed some interesting stuff, that's all I'm saying). & have a nice day everyone. I know I did on Saturday :D

9 comments:

  1. I was skeptical it would actually take place, and then curious if Fellonius could really keep us in line. But that went VERY well. Really looking forward to the next session, and it got me nostalgiacizing about my tabletop past, so I'm digging things out of the basement and dusting off old adventures and characters of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy. If you've any experience at GMing, I'm all for you as GM on the next campaign :)

      Delete
  2. Noooooo, my brain just melted.

    Why must you taunt me with tales of your RPGs that my miserable human brain cannot fully comprehend?

    (For the record, I made a character for Mutants & Masterminds once, but never played a full campaign, COUGH COUGH looks askance at someone hiding in the shadows. I also got the impression that the GM was oversimplifying things [another glance behind] and even then I had a hard time keeping up.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fully welcome to join us. If you have Twitter (highly doubtful) contact us there. Otherwise you can send a Youtube PM or email. In fact, I'm sending a PM right now since these comments don't have any notifications.

      Delete
    2. Oh gods, no! I looked at a rulebook once and my brain's OS froze. I'm... not cut out for RPGing...

      Delete
    3. WHAT?
      Duuuude, I haven't even looked at the rulebook & I've already had a wonderful session.

      Seriously though, my method is to try whatever I'd do in a position as my character a.k.a. I roleplay & if I can't do a certain thing, Fellonius will tell me so.

      So if you're at all interested, drop by. We're all friends here :)

      Delete
    4. It would be difficult to explain exactly why without an actual transcript of an attempted session. Perhaps it was my mistake to read the rulebook before getting my feet wet... whoops, probably a bad idiom for you :/ But basically, because I couldn't remember most of the "officially implemented" actions, almost all of my turns boiled down to "if something is trying to kill me, hit it with a stick; otherwise hug a random object." And then the GM [pointed glare] tried to block any attempt at either D:

      Also psst: "wasking up"

      Delete
    5. Bad idiom for me? How come?? :S

      & counter psst: What? Have you never wosken up before? It is not pretty let me tell you, specially when you're sleepy as a Snorlax :/

      Delete
    6. 1. Previous blog post.

      2. No, never.

      Delete