Wednesday 18 June 2014

Edge of Tomorrow - Wall-of-Text Blog Post

As I'm writing this blog post in response to having watched Edge of Tomorrow this afternoon, I still have no idea what to title it.
A few ideas:
1. All You Need Is Kill to Edge of Tomorrow - so cliche, amiright. So that goes out the window.
2. All You Need Is Kill to reach the Edge of Tomorrow - Ugh! Really? Really Ani? This horribleness is the best you could do. For shame!
3. ....

You know what, scrap that whole paragraph. Let's begin proper.
Oh & don't worry, no spoilers here :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edge of Tomorrow is a unique movie experience for me. Because it's the very first movie (IIRC) that I've watched after reading the original book (& in this case, the manga as well).

I first attempted this feat with The Hunger Games. Still haven't finished the book & thus haven't seen the movie yet (even though I know exactly what happens thanks to various media sources & silly LPs of Minecraft maps).

I came really close to achieving this feat with Ender's Game a few days ago when I saw a bit of the movie (having already read the book a few months ago). But I didn't finish watching it entirely so that's that.

Anyway, returning from that tangent, All You Need Is Kill is a really nice book & the manga following the storyline nearly to the letter means you only need to read one to know the story.
It's a brilliant story & I suggest it to anyone. Be warned though, the very first chapter is laden with expletives.

So here was a movie I went in with complete knowledge of the work it's based on. & it surprised me.
The movie is, as the creators have said, is based on it. Keyword: based.

Edge of Tomorrow starts differently with the main character having a wholly different backstory. Firstly, the main character is now an American instead of Japanese. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the change. Specifically because Cage from the movie is nothing like Keiji from the book.

Then  quickly enough the loops start & then some ways through the film, it goes off on a completely different storyline. & it was glorious :D

Starting 2014, I was complaining how there were no good summer blockbusters coming out. & lo, I've already gone to the theatre to see 3 movies, the most number of times I've done so in any summer in my life thus far.
& all 3 were FREAKKIN' AWESOME!

But Edge of Tomorrow definitely takes home the prize. Here is a movie I expected to become my favourite of 2014 before going in the hall.
& I came out of the hall with just that.

As awesome as Godzilla was, the human characters felt quite weak (the acting & plot, I mean. Obviously they're weak against Godzilla).
As awesome as X-Men Days of Future Past was, you needed to see almost every Xmen movie prior it (or at the very least, X-Men First Class) to understand what was going on.

But Edge of Tomorrow stands alone. A movie that started strongly & finished strongly. No silly sequel hook, no post-credits scene shenanigans.
Edge of Tomorrow delivered a truly amazing blockbuster.
Much much better than what I'd hoped it to do. It kept me at the metaphorical edge of my seat throughout the entire movie. (See what I did there with the word 'edge'? Eh? Eh? Eh?)

Yep. That's how I end this blog post. With the worst pun I could make in the current context. But be honest, isn't that why you're here reading this? :P

To sum it up, go watch EoT. Like I said, it's my favourite movie of 2014 & with the list of releases coming out this year, it's unlikely to be replaced by anything else. Interstellar will probably come the closest but that remains to be seen.
As comparison, my favourite film of 2013 is Pacific Rim & that of 2012 is Wreck-It Ralph. Sure The Avengers came out that year, & I actually saw Wreck-It Ralph in 2013 but work with me here.

Anyways, here's the end (this is where you readers breath a sigh of relief) of this wall-of-text blog post. I hope you enjoyed another glimpse into the ramblings of my brain :)
Till next time... Keep on flying :D

Oh P.S. Look at the time. It's 11:41pm. I'm posting this close to the Edge of Tomorrow.
[Yes, another pun. Deal with it. I have to deal with my brain spouting these every second. Why should you miss out on the fun?]

No comments:

Post a Comment